[illumos-Developer] How to build individual illumos components

Jens Elkner jel+illumos at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Apr 11 07:58:18 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 09:02:20PM -0500, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 01:17:44PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> >  On 04/10/11 07:17 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
> > >While fixing a minor bug in m4, I figured out how to build only that
> > >utility, rather than the whole illumos distribution.  This procedure
> > >seems not to be documented on the illumos wiki.  I'd be happy to
> > >remidy this situation.  Where should this information go on the wiki?
> >
> > There's a reason its not documented.  It won't work all utilities,
> > especially those with library dependencies.  However, as a note, doing
> > "make setup" in the top level, plus a "make install" in the directory of
> > interest, usually works if the utility is self contained.
>
> So, does that mean that the procedure should not be documented?  I'm
> certainly willing to desist.

IMHO: Do it, since it can save a lot of time.

BTW: I made the src tree once nightly to "initilize" required stuff.
After that I just source the script mentioned below when I start working,
change to the dir of interest and call 'make ...'. This usually works
even if nightly doesn't run through completely ...
http://iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~elkner/osol/onbld.env2

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2