[illumos-Developer] Webrev for bug 900: sed errors when -e is given a 0-length argument

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Apr 28 09:05:27 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 07:22:50AM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>  On 04/28/11 05:28 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 07:32:42PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> >>Doesn't fbsd also have asprintf?
> >Of course, just not in the sed source.  Since you did the original
> >port, feel free to fix the bug your way.  I'll be happy to drop my
> >effort and look for another bug to fix.
>
> The comment above wasn't meant to discourage you.  My point was that
> since asprintf() is part of libc on both OS', there was no reason not to
> use it -- especially as in this case it represents tighter/cleaner
> code.  (The original non-asprintf() logic probably predates the
> introduction of asprintf into their libc.   There's a lot of historical
> code like that.)

I realize that there are different objectives in fixing bugs, and
different means to achieve the fix.  Of course, that's probably why
this particular bug was left unfixed in this case.

> Part of the code review process is meant to improve the quality of the
> code, and part of it serves to provide education to both reviewer(s) and
> reviewee.  (In this case the presence and utility of asprintf.)  Please
> don't get discouraged when you receive feedback like this.

Yes, I agree that a bug provides an opportunity to modernize a piece
of code.  I suppose that how far you go in doing this is the open
question.

I do appreciate receiving guidelines on what should be done during a
bug fix.  Are these documented anyplace?  My main concerns are not
introducing new bugs, and being able to reproduce the problem and
correct it.  I'm sure there are other less technical practices as
well.

> That said, if you want to drop this bug, let me know and I'll finish it
> up.  I'd rather you did it, and claimed credit for your work on it, but
> if you don't want to, then I'm willing to finish it up.

In that case, I will submit another webrev with `asprintf' this time.