[illumos-Developer] Questions on the ISC DHCP server

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Jan 3 07:38:26 PST 2011

On 01/ 3/11 06:50 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
> o Should this be part of illumos?  It is a server application, rather
>   than a user application.  I see that the Sun DHCP server is in the
>   ONNV consolidation.  I couldn't find the DNS server there.

Because the split is not server vs. user.  The BIND DNS server is built
in the SFW consolidation because it has a separate upstream maintainer,
and SFW was designed to just build and package externally maintained
software, without having to redesign the makefiles to fit into ON,
or apply ON rules about cstyle & lint cleanliness to the code.

For the most part, externally maintained software in ON is a holdover
from before SFW existed or very special cases with interdependencies
with the rest of ON (like HAL).

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com