[illumos-Developer] NFSv4 exclusive open breaks ACL's

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue Jul 19 10:58:27 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 10:30 -0700, Gary wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>         In fact, we are legally obligated to, because we are working
>         with original sources that are CDDL, so the source can show up
>         not later than the same time than the binaries do.
>

>  Then I suspect that Oracle will be obliged to do the same...

You suspect wrongly.  Oracle is the IP owner, so they can do whatever
they want with the IP they own, or that they received under the terms of
the SCA (which granted them co-ownership of any IP that was contributed
to OpenSolaris.)

Nexenta isn't in the same position at all.  Nor is anyone else.

> If I use code licensed under the CDDL in my proprietary product, will
> I have to share my source code?

Yes, at least those files that were originally CDDL must be re-released
in source form.  The exception would be if you were the only copyright
holder, or had some explicit permission from the copyright owners that
gave the code to you under terms different than the CDDL.  (This is why
Oracle can do a binary only release, but nobody else can.)

> Yes, for any source files that are licensed under the CDDL and any
> modifications you make. However, you don't need to share the source
> for your proprietary source files.

Right.  The CDDL is not viral -- it only applies to the files that were
originally CDDL.

	- Garrett